Background / Overview:
The National Digital Repository serves to collect, preserve, promote and disseminate South Africa's cultural heritage through young South Africans. Give the youth a chance to tell their own stories from their own communities. Thus far the primary point of dissemination has been the site www.ndr.org.za
In 2012 the project takes the sharing of our cultural heritage one step further through the medium of broadcast television. This marks an ambitious plan to improve the quality, creative value of the information and videos produced by the NDR through producing a 13 part documentary series fully shot in HD. This series will be ambitious in scope and aesthetic. Pushing the envelope creatively and aesthetically whilst engaging the youth in both form and content about our heritage as South Africans. Ultimately the series will be for international and local release .
The series will concentrate on the following themes below:
What is the objective of Brief?
The Project is looking for the following graphics ;
- The series opening sequence (15 seconds)
- End Credits Sequence/ Background (30 seconds)
- Name strap
- Bumper (5 seconds)
- Sting (5 frames)
- Count down Clock
- Plain board
The design needs to be unashamedly African but an Africa that merges old and new. Which the “smarties generation” can identify with but can also learn from. The graphics especially, the title sequence, needs to capture the imagination of the young people. It should hook them to want to see more.
It also needs to set the tone of what creatively to expect from the series.
- Design need to incorporate anti-apartheid iconography and traditional heritage
- Design should resonate with urban youth: who are used to slick and pop aesthetic
- Title sequence needs to feature “ NEMISA presents”, “in association with Department of Communications of South Africa” should end with the series tititle “National Digital Repository series”
- Title sequence can be CG or a merger of text, pictures, CG and historical dates. It’s important that the title sequence should be able to link our past to where we are now as a country especially focusing on the role of the youth through this change in time. Motion and movement is also key metaphor or motif in the design.
- A Treatment ( which includes Biography, Concept, Reference Images and style guide, Technical breakdown and Summary)
- Budget and estimated costs
National Digital Repository Documentary Series Imaging Brief 2012
Contact Thabang Phetla on: 011 484 0583, email@example.com for all enquiries.
Factual / Documentary
13 x 48’
Quicktime files (16:9 aspect ratio)
Closing date for submission: 2 May 2012 at firstname.lastname@example.org 011 484 0583 / 0795178377